தீபத்திருநாளாம் தீபாவளி Deepavali the “festival of lights”
Deepavali in South India is celebrated in the month of Aippasi or thula month ‘naraka chaturdasi’ thithi, preceding amavasai or dark moon day. The reason for celebrating Deepavali is that great Asura Naraka a powerful evil king of Assam was conquered and killed by lord Krishna. The lord Krishna also freed thousands of inhabitants who were imprisoned by Naraka, to celebrate victory day with lights hence the name Deepavali which means “festival of lights”.
Usual Deepavali rituals in olden days, were cleaning the home completely, especially the kitchen. The oven will be applied with cow dung and religious symbols and kolam or rangoli will be drawn using the rice powder mix. After the cleansing process is over in the kitchen, the utensil with water and herbs for the next day bath is placed in the oven.
Oil bath எண்ணெய் குளியல்
Oil bath is the specialty of Deepavali , in South India it is usually called yennai kuliyal gingelly oil நல்லெண்ணெய் or medicated gingelly oil is applied head to toe and massaged. After cleansing the body with oil , Shikakai / Acacia concinna / சிகைக்காய் or Arappu அரப்பு / Oil cake tree leaves /Albizia amara is used to wash hair and Gram flour is used wash body.
Simple medicated oil recipe
Sesame oil or Ghee நல்லெண்ணெய் 3 table spoon
Cumin seeds சீரகம் 1 table spoon
Pepper மிளகு 10 – 15 corns.
- Take the oil in small frying pan and heat it in low flame.
- When the oil has heated up put in the Cumin seeds.
- Add the peppercorns and fry it for a while.
Use the above oil for applying all over when lukewarm.
Don’ts on an oil bath day
- Avoid hard work.
- Do not sleep in the day time.
- Avoid air condition and other cold foods , as oil bath already induces a cooling effect to the body.
Deepavali marunthu or legiyam / Inji legiyam தீபாவளி மருந்து (அ) லேகியம்
Deepavali legiyam or Inji legiyam is prepared during the Deepavali occasion. This legiyam is prepared to enhance digestion of food consumed during this festival. Deepavali legiyam recipe is as follows:-
|திப்பிலி||long pepper||20 gm|
|கண்டத்திப்பிலி||Long pepper root||20gm|
|சிறுநாகப்பூ||Mesua ferrea||10 gm|
|பரங்கிப்பட்டை||Smilax glabra||10 gm|
|வாய்விளங்கம்||False black pepper||20gm|
|வால்மிளகு||Tailed pepper||10 gm|
|உலர்ந்த திராட்சை||Dry grapes||50 gm|
|கரும்பு சக்கரை||Jaggery||¾ Kg|
Look through all the ingredients to remove impurities, and remove seeds from dates.
- Dry roast all the ingredients except dates and dry grape.
- Soak dry dates and raisins in lukewarm water.
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned above in a mixer including soaked raisin and dates.
- Take up a Kadai put it on a low flame and add some ghee, after sometime add in the ingredients and sauté for five minutes.
- Mix the ingredients regularly to avoid burning, cook in a low flame.
- In regular intervals add some ghee, so that it turns up in a semi solid and non sticky state.
- Serve the Legiyam with breakfast.
Have a safe and energetic Deepavali in a traditional way.